What is an E101 certificate?

If you are an expat from another EU country temporarily working in the Netherlands or if you have plans to work in the Netherlands in the future, it is important to know about the E101 certificate and what it means for you. Simply put, the E101 certificate is a document which certifies that an EEA (European Economic Area) resident working for his or her employer outside his or her native country is covered by that country’s social insurance legislation. Employees with an E101 certificate can therefore choose to pay social security premiums in their native country, instead of in the country where they are working. This can have financial benefits. The E101 certificate only applies to EEA residents working within the EEA.